Classic Cuba – Land of Colour and Hospitality. October 28 – November 6.
Join Akademie Instructor Nick Rains on a small-group exploration of the cities of Havana and Trinidad, staying in five star hotels, travelling by chartered bus and with our own Cuban guide, local photographer Oskar, whom Nick has worked with before.
Here is the itinerary that we intend to follow – there may be some changes but this is essentially what we plan to do.
- Day 1: Arrival day. You will be met at the airport and transferred to our 5-star hotel in the old city, the Parque Central. Later there will be a chance to meet the other photographers at dinner in a restaurant with sweeping panoramic views over the city.
- Day 2: Ol’ Havana We make an early start to capture some of the delightful architecture around our hotel in the best light. After lunch there is the opportunity to meet Roberto Salas who documented Cuba through the days of Castro and Che Guevara. We finish the day with an exploration of Havana Centro, the city of the locals, and Havana Vieja, the old city, a place to discover the Cuban lifestyle in the raw.
- Day 3: We head to Trinidad today via the town of Cienfuego; don’t worry we will be back in Havana for more street photography. The World Heritage town of Trinidad is a great place for exploring and finding interesting scenes amongst the colourful streets.
- Day 4: Trinidad
- Day 5: Drive to Remedios where we can see operating steam trains and maybe catch a ride.
- Day 6: Explore Remedios. There will be an opportunity to do an image review in the afternoon before we go out in the late afternoon for more classic street scenes.
- Day 7: Remedios back to Havana.
- Day 8: Havana. Visit the Malecon (sea front) and, in the afternoon, see a Cuban modern dance troupe in their practice sessions. Great for action and portraits.
- Day 9: Havana. We spend the morning walking the streets and the afternoon sees the finale of the trip – a session with models and classic card in the old streets.
- Day 10. Departure day – transfers to the airport to catch flights out.
Inclusions: all accommodation in single occupancy rooms (5-star where available), all meals, drinks with dinner, transport, guide, entry fees – basically everything. All you need to do is get to and from Havana.
Please Note: For couples wishing to share a room, we can offer a discounted price of $10950pp – this reduced price will be applied when final payments are due (August 1st).
The following images were all shot by Nick Rains on his last visit to Cuba, following much the same itinerary.